Welcome to the Community!

Hey!! Look who's scrolled down to check the welcome text. I'll give a short welcome to you guys, and a couple of 'thank you' s for whatever button you clicked to have ended up here in this little blog of mine. It's nothing professional, but it surely is special! Not for you maybe, but just for your information I've wasted precious time just to make the blog appear decent and pretty in my opinion - not to mention all of the posts you see here! So don't judge before you actually look into things!
I've added a couple of pages just to organize all the things I have in this blog so that you guys have a better time of searching things up rather than having every post of different topics all jumbled up in one single home page.
Yeah, I think I'm done with my welcome text. Without further ado, welcome to my little blog of thoughts.

*You really didn't need to finish everything to start reading stuff here, but I appreciate it if you have. :)

Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Why I Like Dystopian Worlds.

I am finally BACK!
After a lot of reading, chilling, and overall being a very unproductive couch potato, I have decided to finally come back to this lovely blog where all my thoughts jumble and create their own protective home. And where some people have decided to pop in and check out some of the things that I've written (which I'm incredibly grateful for, by the way).
But well...

Answering the question in the title of this post, I would like to first clarify that this post has nothing to do with anyone's questioning toward my taste of novels, but everything to do with me trying to justify to myself the reason I love reading dystopian.

If this were a school essay paper, I would've written something along the lines of wanting to read about the humans hopelessly trying to create a better world, but instead having to deal with the aftermaths of their actions trying to change the course of nature. And that the humans could never achieve anything with their own minds leading the way, and nothing humans ever do would be perfect, no matter how perfect the calculations and simulations allow them to hope. Only with the help of God would they ever be in capable hands.

And as much of that is true, it isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind when I try to come up with reasons of why I am so thoroughly fascinated with reading about dystopian worlds. Below are the reasons that I do think of at a moment's notice:

1. Getting out of reality
Being transported into another world, going on exciting adventures, taking all the risks with the YOLO motto - it all seems wonderful, doesn't it? Sometimes we just need to take a break and hit the 'pause' button, and dive into a different world. Okay, maybe some of you are thinking, this could happen with any type of book, not just dystopian. And although that could be true, in the way that I see it, going into dystopian worlds is one of the two ways (another being the 'fantasy' genre) to actually temporarily forget reality and experience things you may never actually experience in real life. I have nothing against other genres, really, I read them too; it's just that in my way of looking at it: you wanna go, you gotta go all the way. That sounded a little freaky (?) Well that's just a way of saying that I seriously love going into books with spectacular world-building imageries, new concepts being introduced, etc. Instead of just getting a break, we also learn something new in the meantime. (I'm not sure if I'm putting this right; I'm still trying to get the hang of this whole writing thing - so bear with me.)


2. Be someone different
Well, this is almost like in the same package as my first reason, but I'd like to emphasize this. I think maybe some of you could relate to me. Sometimes, I feel that life is very boring. And most times that would not happen if we picked the right things to do and involve ourselves in. But from where I come from, my culture prohibits me from exploring much of the world around me. It limits freedom, independence, and living my teenage life to its full potential. It's not that there's anything wrong, or that I'm going to go on strike or anything. But I would just like to point out a little, that my life experiences so far are mostly limited to school grounds, cars, malls, and my house. Again, not that my parents limit my freedom or anything, it's just the way of life here. You don't really walk outside and interact much with the world. Want to go somewhere? Ring the driver and he'll take you there with a car. In a mood for some shopping? No street boutiques or stores, because everything is available at the mall! Which is why, sometimes, I envy the life of the people in developed countries, where they can enjoy the nature of their countries. Sure, here we mingle in beautiful buildings and skyscrapers, but not a lot of opportunity to explore the outdoors - with valid reasons, of course: polluted air, fear of kidnappers/robbers, etc. Sometimes I just need to read these books in order to know some of the things real life people do (the irony, no?).

Again, I will remind you that my writing could be a little senseless to some. And that is completely understandable; I'm not even sure if I understood myself up there. But some of those are just meaningless rants, ignore me if you want to. And do NOT mistake those rants to have come from a senseless babbling, poor little thing looking for attention. I am not.

Okay then, I'll kind of stop here, since I, maybe, could've just kind of went off topic over there. And I'll just let you guys think for yourselves why you like reading the genres that you read. Maybe you'll realise something that you've been feeling for a while but have just understood. :)

No comments: